Monday, August 04, 2008

Long Weekend Ending... Short Week Beginning!

Usually a long weekend marks a nice short week, however, when we are planning a birthday party and packing for a vacation, that short week never feel long enough to do everything on your list. Ack! I am sure I will poke in a few times to update the status of the lists, and to hide from the fact I am overwhelmed. Whatever comes first... ha!

Saturday was going to be a lazy day and fun party evening. It started off well with a visit to Nana and Papa's place. When we were getting ready to head home Aunt Penny and Uncle Bill arrived. So we stuck around a tad longer to visit with them. Ariel was really tired at that point so we headed home for a quick lunch and a much needed nap before the party.

Just had Ariel had fallen asleep and I was sitting down to a nice lunch I had prepared the fire bell went off! I started searching my brain if I remembered seeing a notice of the alarm testing or drill being planned. Of course after our experience a few years ago (read here if you missed that episode) I don't chance anything. I ran upstairs to grab my daughter and got out of the house. Ariel who was wasn't really awake clung to me as we ran down the hall past the ringing bells. She wasn't scared but seemed confused, I however was shaking since you just never know.


As we got out there were very few people who seemed to make the same call to come out. Just as I thought perhaps a drill our building manager flies by shouting for everyone to get out. Turns out one of the alarms did go off, so we needed to treat it as a real threat. We joined the other families and talked about how no one was taking it seriously. It was around that time the fire trucks arrived and the fire fighters were doing a building sweep. Thank heavens it was a false alarm and not at 2am in the morning like last time. However, Ariel wasn't about to have a nap after all the excitement and wanted to watch the trucks from the deck until they left. Oh, and my lunch was cold by the time we got back inside. Blah.

We got dressed and headed to the party where we got to see the big giant white spring fish before it hit the grill. Dang, that was a BIG FISH! It was also very yummy fish, and we have lots of it as left overs in our fridge. Yay.


The party was a great success and it was nice to see everyone. Its hard to believe Nana is 75 and Fran is 65! Happy birthday to you both! Ariel enjoyed visiting and eating. She too got a few birthday surprises...


Katie who is unable to make her party this week got her a 'luxury duck'. Sooo cute and Ariel was shouted 'DUCK' when she saw it, followed by 'QUACK!' Aunt Penny and Uncle Bill gave her an 'Ariel magic wand' that made noise pressing on the button. Also a hit! Thanks so much!


We also had a surprise from Deb and Blair of a great ET musical card with a donation to our Disney trip. Such a sweet gesture, thank you!!! Ariel was so excited she got all silly and had everyone howling with her goofy act. What a nut!


We didn't get home till past 10pm and never once did Ariel get crabby, which amazed me since she never did get her nap. What a girl! She did hit her bed and was out within moments.

Next morning was church, and our last sermon with our temporary pastor while pastor Dave was on sabbatical. Will be nice to hear him once before we head off on vacation. Following church we headed to pick up Ariel's handmade cake topper by my good friend Katie! You will have to wait till the party to see it, but I will tell you its sooo cute and totally fits our theme. Katie was excited to see Ariel in person, since she hasn't seen her since she was born in the hospital. She gave Ariel her old Elmo toy, and thats like the holy grail to a toddler. Haha.


We visited the bunnies, and Ariel was totally in love with them. I was impressed with the fact they are toilet trained! They have a 'rabbit potty' in their cages and use it. I told Katie she could come train Ariel for me. Lol.


We headed home but not until we picked up a pizza hut pizza for lunch. Hee. All the way home Ariel whined she wanted a slice and finally when she did, ate 2 full pieces. Wow. The rest of the day was quiet and nice. I worked on the birthday video and Ken relaxed. Ahhhh.

Today we went into town for some salsa to go with dinner, visited Nana and Papa and stopped by Dad and Rita's to bring Katie's goodie bag since she would be missing the party. While Ariel napped we worked on the video and its pretty much finished. Now I am preparing for the week, which is going to be much busier. I have the suitcases out, and party stuff covering the table. The lists are made, the schedule is written for things that have to happen... now lets see how it all goes. Stay tuned I guess.

I wanted to leave you with some of Ariel's new tricks. She has been memorizing lines from the books we read with her. This is the 'I'm Dirty' book, the one that Ken helped animate. Its pretty funny. Enjoy!


2 comments:

Kristen said...

Oh gosh that fire drill would have scared me to death! Sounds like Ariel was quite the trooper all day. What a good girl:) Can't wait to see all the bday surprises!

Kristin said...

Poor Ariel being woken up like that from her nap, better safe than sorry though!!

What a cute rubber duck!

Good luck with your really busy week!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...