Saturday, September 23, 2006

Excuse me while I get on my soap box!

Ok, as an official ambassador of Veggie Tales (we have been since the movie came out a few years ago) we get sent material and information to share about where the show is going. Well, a month or so ago we got an email stating it was coming to NBC as a tv series. I must admit I was excited and thrilled, about time we got some veggies on tv, besides barbaric cooking shows (which I love, sorry). Anyhoo, found this article today, and needless to say, I am CHEESED!!!

Apparently, many of the references the show made about God were cut out. Um, last time I checked it was a SPIRITUAL show! God tends to get mentioned. What floors me is the fact the creator wasn't even told until until a few weeks ago that many changes were to be made. Things like changing the closing from:

"God made you special and he loves you very much,"

to:

"Thanks for coming over to my house, kids. See you next week."

My favorite comment coming from the network is that the cuts were made for length and not for religious content. Excuse me while I die from laughter. Someone said it best when they referred to NBC as National Board of Censorship. Too True. If they didn't like it the way it was, why did they buy it? They change it to reach a broader audience... um, don't you think if they bought the dvds eventually for the kids they be surprised there is mention of God? So will we see special 'God Edition' versions in the stores with huge stickers warning parents that God is mentioned as if it were a swear word? Sigh.

I watch several shows that air on NBC, and they aren't all that pretty. In fact many are very disturbing with VERY graphic images. Not to mention daytime soaps with very racy images. So just that we are all clear, God bad.... violence and sex good.

God isn't someone who hasn't been on tv before. Many shows, past and present, focus around religious content: 7th Heaven, Joan of Arcadia, Touched by an Angel, Wonderfalls just to name a few. Why is it ok for family evening viewing but not saturday morning cartoons? This is one parent and veggie sponsor that plans on playing the dvds for my daughter... in full. God talk and all. I hope she won't be scarred for life.

Ok, now to close with something far more exciting!!! After a long break since the last album....
Weird Al Yankovic has a new cd!!!!!!!!!! I saw the video today for "white and nerdy." Suddenly, I am sooooo uber happy. I have posted it so you can all laugh along with me. Full album is available on September 26th, WOOT! Featuring parodies of Chamillionaire, Green Day, Usher, R. Kelly and Taylor Hicks! I guess I am pretty white and nerdy too.


Get this video and more at MySpace.com

3 comments:

Kim said...

After watching that video I've realized that I'm white and nerdy too! I love the Star Trek references in the video - I think I'll be picking up that CD!
About your Veggie Tales comments . . . I agree that it's sad that NBC can't just play the show as it was intended, God-references and all. How can we hope to live in a world of peace and tolerance if we avoid any mention of God? It seems like NBC is teaching our children that our religious beliefs are wrong or dirty. What a shame.

Dianne said...

I'm 100% with you for Part I. It is sneaky and rediculous and with the meaning removed from the stories, I really don't see how it will even last.

As for Part II - my sister showed me that video yesterday, and I haven't laughed that hard in ages! When she told me that here was a new Weird AL video, I thought of you :)

Anonymous said...

That article about NBC censoring out references to God and the Bible from VeggieTales is bizarre. What exactly did NBC think it was buying ? Have they been under a rock during the last 10 years ? (in terms of being in touch with evangelical Christianity I expect NBC and the other major broadcasters are in fact "under a rock" , completely clueless)

Oh, and just look at the radical religious stuff they had to cut out lest they offend someone :

Eliminated lines from one episode included "Calm down. The Bible says we should love our enemies."

Unbelievable.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...