Monday, February 25, 2008

The Oscar goes to...

...does it matter? Sorry, I really wasn't interested in any of the films this year, except Ratatouille, and I am happy it won for Animated feature. Woot! Jon Stewart was good, and it was how I expected it would be... somewhat ok. Coming out of a writers strike is never usually a good thing, and so the script was indeed shorter than usual. Overall there were some beautiful gowns, some great speeches from the not so famous people (frankly those ones are my favs anyways) and some good laughs at the Republicans expense. Hee.

By far the main even for us was the yummy dishes I cooked up for the festivities. We had some yummy mushroom caps...


...lettuce wraps...


What! None for me?


and yummy parfaits for dessert. Oh soooooo good.


Ariel enjoyed the musical numbers and was dancing around the living room. She also got excited when ever she saw Jon Stewart back on. Even at one point we are sure we heard her say 'its Jon!' Too funny. She also seemed taken with Johnny Depp, like every other girl in the country.


When the show got too boring for Ariel, she turned to playing with the shoes. What a lady!


Monday was a wonderful sunny day.We were both up at the crack of dawn since Ken was leaving early for orientation day at the school, as the new students were starting. So we were out the door by 10 to 9am. Had coffee with Nana and had a long walk around town. We picked up some stuff at the store for dinners this week, and came home. Apparently, the rain is coming... we shall see. Hard to believe when its so beautiful out that you can see the mountains perfectly.


This morning it was more of an overcast day, with a few sprinkles, but good enough for us to go walking again. Before we could go, the mailman came by with a special parcel for Ariel. YAY, her passport arrived! Ok, I believe thats a record. I went last week!


Just for fun, here she is the first time she got her passport back in April 2007. Talk about growing up!


We went out and got some organic homo milk for Ariel, as they were sold out yesterday. Saw a fire truck zoom by with its lights and siren on. Bought some of my cereal that was on sale at Safeway this week, and then just took our time going home. I know the rain is really coming soon... sigh.

When we got home, Ariel played with her toys while I made lunch. She was in a really goofy mood today, singing funny little songs to herself. She also showed off her letter skills, pointing out the letter i (while saying 'i') in the word zuchini! Must be all that Sesame Street her and Daddy have been watching together.


When Ariel went down for a nap, I decided to set up the Easter stuff. Its so weird that its really early this year, and I am still trying to get use to it. Anyhoo, I set up the Easter tree and other decorations on the dinning hutch.


Our new addition this year are the 'Resurrection Eggs' that I got in Michigan during our last visit. There is a little booklet, and for the last 12 days before Easter, you open the particular egg and it has a little thing inside that goes with the story in the book. I look forward to using these as a family tradition every year.


I also put out my totally old school chicken placemats. I used these back when I was a kid and I still LOVE THEM! They are looking a little old, and part of me wants to make some new ones one day, especially when it comes time for Ariel to need a placemat. But for now, we use my old reliable ones. I love you little chickens!


After dinner tonight, Ariel and Ken were playing their silly little game... thought you might like to see too.



I am thinking about going to Costco tomorrow since we are nearly out of toilet paper and paper towel again, so that might be a fun change of pace. Until then, I leave you with our hero, riding into the sunset. Have a good night!

9 comments:

Amy said...

I love your chicken place mats!! They are so cute!!! Easter did sneak up on us this year huh? I guess I need to get out our Easter ox out of the garage tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

What a fantastic laugh she has!!! And I love that green dress! We have some resurrection eggs too, and they have served us very well. There is also a book called 'Benjamin's Box' that tells the easter story and corresponds to the eggs. You can get it through cbd or at the book store at Power to Change headquarters in Langley. That bookstore is fantastic - worth the drive - and if you go I'll meet you there!
Robyn

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, and, can i have your recipe for stuffed mushrooms? They look absolutely fantastic!
Robyn

Kristin said...

Mmm, those parfaits look SO good!

The rain has come, boo! Not the torrential rains, but no sun. I hope it comes back soon, I was getting used to it!

Love Ariel's giggle! :)

Anna Marie said...

OK, can I have ALL your recipes?! Everything looks delish!

Ariel is just precious, as always. :)

Jill Brochard said...

OK Jay -- I NEED the lettuce wrap recipe!! All your stuff looks so amazing!

Dianne said...

Here I am, getting in line in case you give out your Oscar night recipes. They all look so great!

Jay said...

Thanks gals! Will post the recipes in tonight's blog. Stay tuned! :)

kelly ens said...

that video is AWESOME!!!!
can't wait for the parfait recipe (well, all of them, but that one in particular!)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...