Thursday, February 28, 2008

Spring has Sprung... kinda

Hey everyone! Can you believe its almost the weekend again!? Its been a beautiful week here and we have been getting out so much that its strange to think there is a forecast of rain all weekend. Boo. Well, they did say rain this week too and it didn't really happen, so lets hope that is the case again.

Thank you all who commented on our Oscar goodies. As promised, here are the recipes. They are all from the Biggest Loser Cookbook, which I HIGHLY recommend! They are all low calorie meals and they taste great. Yummy!

Stuffed Mushrooms

4 mushrooms
1 1/2 tbsp crumbed fat free feta cheese
2 tsp chopped fresh parsley
1/2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
pinch of cayenne

Preheat oven to 425°F, mist pan with oil. Remove stems and mince. Add cheese, parsley, oil and cayenne, and mix well. Spoon mixture into mushroom caps. Bake for 12-15 minutes. 4 mushrooms are a serving that equals 48 calories!

Lettuce Wraps

1 can bamboo shoots (drained and minced)
1 can of water chestnuts (drained and minced)
3 tbsp sherry (I didn't have any so I didn't add it to mine)
2 tbsp hoisin sauce
1 tbsp unsalted peanut butter
2 tsp low sodium soy sauce
2 tsp hot pepper sauce
2 packets of splenda (or sugar substitute)
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 cup minced onion
1/2 pound ground chicken breast
2 tsp minced fresh ginger
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp sesame oil
8 leaves of butter lettuce
1 whole chopped green onion
1 small cucumber, sliced into 1" strips

In bowl combine bamboo shoots, water chestnuts, sherry, hoisin sauce, peanut butter, soy sauce, hot pepper sauce and sugar sub. Mix well, set aside. In skillet, spray with oil and over medium heat cook garlic for 2 min. Add onion, cook for 3-4 min. Add chicken, ginger and salt. Cook until chicken no longer pink. Add bamboo mixture. Cook until hot, stir in sesame oil. Remove from heat, add the green onion and cucumber. Put some in lettuce leaf and roll and eat. A serving (about 2-3 leaves) is 191 calories!

Parfaits

1/2 cup of cold milk
1/4 kahlua or coffee flavored liqueur (didn't have it so didn't add it)
1 envelop sugar free, low fat chocolate mousse mix
1 tbsp unsweetened coco powder
2 chocolate graham crackers crushed into crumbs
1 cup thawed fat free frozen whipped topping

Mix milk, kahlua, mousse mix and coco with electric blender. Whip until blended, then increase speed until fluffy. In wine glasses, layer mouse, 2 tsp crumbs and 2 tbsp of topping. Repeat once more, sprinkle top with remaining crumbs. Chill for at least 2 hours before serving. Makes 4 and each is 145 calories!


So I hope you enjoy those. We sure did. Yesterday Ariel and I decided to go to Costco as we were running low on toilet paper and paper towel. When we arrived the first thing I saw when entering was this wonderful set of luggage. Ken and I have never had our own set, we have been borrowing stuff from Nana for years and it takes up a lot of room. This set fits all inside each other, and with the more traveling Ken is doing these days, makes sense to get our own. It was $200, but with the special door coupon this week was only $150! Woot! I was pretty pumped! Can't wait to use it on our Disney trip this fall.


We also got a couple of super thick beach towels. Ariel was the only one with a real towel in the house, and if we plan to go swimming and to the water park more this summer, they be good to have on hand. Plus they are gorgeous colors! Ariel liked them too. I love this picture. What a cutie!


Today was a bright and sunny day. We met Nana and Papa for coffee then went on a big walk around town. We saw several dogs and nearly lost Ariel's little baby. She at some point dropped her and didn't say anything. Good thing I realized when I did, so we were able to go back and find her. I need a bungee cord for her toys. Haha.


Before going home we stopped to visit Stella at the quilt shop. Saw some really cute fabric bits in bundles, so I am hoping I will be able to get some for a craft idea I have for Ariel's second birthday. Hee.

As we were heading to put the stroller away, I decided to briefly go by the wharf so Ariel could see the boats and ducks. She quite liked that, and I was taken by the stillness of the water today. Very pretty.


Once we were home, I noticed a little something poking out of one of my deck pots. Sure enough a little Spring friend arrived. A nice surprise, especially since I didn't think I had any bulbs left in the pot.


Ariel snuck out behind me during that time and wanted to drive her car. Its was almost warm enough to not have a coat on... but not quite. Sorry kiddo, go get that coat on!


We had a nice lunch, played with some toys and read a few books. Ariel liked being the princess on her throne of towels. She was demanding milk and fish crackers, what a diva!


During her nap, I rested myself. Ken was working late tonight, so I need my strength. I was surprised how long she slept though, so it was a pleasant surprise and I got to catch up on some friends blogs. When she got up, we made some dinner and had a quiet meal for 2.

After dinner Ariel got her second wind and was running around, such a little goofy girl.


Lots of laughing followed. Ariel has the best laugh. Hee.


Then on to bath and bed again. She was sad to go to bed, more so because she hadn't seen Daddy today. Oh well. Tomorrow is coffee party, so that will be fun. I think I may head to bed soon myself, yawn. So that ends another day in the life of Jay and Ariel. Good night!

7 comments:

Kristin said...

Those new towels are so cool!
And yes that is a super cute pic of Ariel with the towel! :)

Jill Brochard said...

Love the pictures!! Ariel is so smiley!! And the last one of you 2 is just precious!!! Thanks for the recipes!

Unknown said...

Almost warm enough to be outside without a coat?! Bulbs blooming!? I still have to wear 2 layers of pants whenever I go outside, it was -26 degrees yesterday, and there are still piles of snow on the ground!! Not fair!

hehehe. Can't wait for spring to be here!

Brenda said...

You girls always seem to find fun things to do! Love the new towels, and you're looking great, Jay!

kelly ens said...

great finds at Costco!!!
i LOVE Ariel's "Adorable Idol" shirt!!! so cute :)

Amy said...

Looks like such a fun day you ladies had!! And seriously, Jay your face looks slimmer (can a face be slimmer ??) anyways, you know what I mean! :)

oh and I am sending off your Easter stuff today, so keep an eye out for it!!

Anonymous said...

mmmm i'm going to be trying out those recipes for sure! i'll have to snag me one of those cookbooks soon too... you are looking très fantastique!!!
jo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...