Friday, March 21, 2008

Good Friday and Good Grief!

I am sitting here and trying to figure out how to start this, with the good or the not so good. I'll start with the beginning of the day and go from there.

So this morning was Good Friday service at church. I was excited this morning because I weighed in, and I have now lost 35lb in total. Woot, thats 5lb more lost, than my original goal of 30lb down for Easter. Feels good. With Ken home today, we got to celebrate with a wonderful breakfast of Hot Cross buns.


Ariel LOVED them!


Especially the chocolate ones. Hehe.


We got all dressed for church and decided to take advantage of the sunny morning and walk there. It was pretty nice out, a bit cool with a breeze, but nothing like the rain that was dumping the night before.


The service was really nice and meaningful like it always is. I really liked how they touched on the global and local issues and we prayed for them as well. The cross marked the feeling of the day. We also wrote down things that we wanted to give up and back to God on pieces of paper and burried them in the little garden boxes up at the front. Following that we took communion.


The lent candles were all out now.


Ariel did pretty well but Ken had to take her to play in the back when she started to get antsy. When things wrapped up we got ready to head home. However, I wanted to take some pictures first with my girl.


She was kinda tired, oh well.


I love the blossoms in the trees, so beautiful. Apparently, it was the first day of spring yesterday, not sure how I missed that, but oh well... happy spring!


Walking through the quiet town... only a few places open today. Mostly the sushi places, lol. Hmm sushi... yes we had some for lunch, yum.


The planters had been filled with new pansies this week, they were really cute and pretty. I love pansies.


The afternoon was a bit off, as Ariel didn't want to nap today... *cough* Daddy was home *cough* Oh well, she was holding it together so we went with it. Ken did some work and I stitched while Ariel went between both of us.

Shortly after 4pm we headed over to Nana's for dinner. Uncle Bill and Aunt Penny were coming into town for a brief visit... mostly to talk to Papa about stuff that has been going on. Well, things got interesting from that point.

We arrived to hear 'ok, we are going to the hospital now.' Turning the corner we saw Papa with a huge bump on his hand with blood. Apparently, it was a blood vessel that burst or something. At this point the details about what happened were sketchy. So we took Ariel in the house. Nana was a bit upset and shaky, I don't blame her at all, I was a little uneasy myself at this point too.

Turns out that Papa snuck out at some point while they were visiting and went up on the tool shed roof in his rubber boots. He was trying to nail a board down to keep the raccoons out of a crawl space. Guess it just kinda popped into his head that it needed to be done and he went to do it. Since he wasn't in his good shoes, he slipped out of the boots and fell off the roof. He hit his knee and banged his hand, and frankly he is lucky to be alive.

I am very thankful my Uncle and Aunt were here, I really don't know how this would have been dealt with otherwise. They took him to the hospital, and Fran came to switch with them so they could come have dinner and go back. By the time they did, he was already in a cast for his leg and ready to come home. He didn't break anything, but they are trying to protect it from further damage I guess.

My Dad and Uncle Bill had to pretty much carry Papa into the house from the car. I had to take a moment to pull it together myself, its not something I expected today, and I know its going to be a bit rough for the next little bit too. Its hard seeing Papa like this, but part of me was like, at least we don't have to worry about him trying to drive.

Ariel was very concerned about her Papa, and made sure to come give him kisses to make him all better. I think Papa liked that too.


I don't want to leave this evenings events on a low note, so I will tell you about the funny moment that happened during all the excitement. Ariel was playing 'ring around the rosie' and Nana made a comment about that Ken sang the song weird. I said, oh, because he says 'ashes' instead of 'husha' like we use to sing? Well, turns out Nana thought Ken wasn't saying 'ashes' but 'asses'. LOL! Yes, I guess that would sound really weird for a kids song. Of course now I only hear that now, so Ken needs to start singing it the other way now to avoid this whole mess. Hahaha. It was the joke of the evening.

Ok, here is today's Easter moment.


The huge stone that had covered the tomb was found rolled away. (Read Matthew 28:1-3 for more of the story)

Well, I am ready for bed. Its been a full day and I am sure things will be a bit crazy tomorrow with the continuing saga. Please pray for healing for Papa and strength for everyone during this time. Not a lot of fun for an Easter weekend.

6 comments:

Tera said...

Oh No! I hope your Papa heals quickly! Ariel looks adorable in her dress! Congrats on surpassing your weight loss goal! I even gave up sweets for lent and didn't lose a single pound?! Still rainy and dreary here...no pretty blooms like you have. So, what is "husha?"

Kim said...

Jay, congrats on your weight loss! You and Ariel both look gorgeous in those pictures!

I'm really sorry to hear about your Papa! I will keep your family in my prayers!

kelly ens said...

mmm - hot cross buns! chocolate ones? even BETTER!
you are looking fantastic!! Way to surpass your Easter goal!
i can't believe the blossoms are out already - we don't have many cherry trees out in abby unfortunately :(
Sorry to hear about your Papa - we will definitely be praying for a speedy recovery!
after you posted that video about ring around a rosie, i googled it because I was so used to "husha-husha" and it turns out different countries have different versions. I think Ken was singing the American/European version or something. hilarious what your Nana thought he was saying though! :D

Brenda said...

Congrats on 35 pounds, Jay! You're amazing!

So sorry to hear about your Papa - hope he heals quickly. ((hugs))

Oh, and I learned the song "ashes" too. Guess Ken better enunciate around Nana, huh? LOL

missmarble said...

Jay - you look so good! I think everyone has messed up the words to that one.

When we were singing this one at swimming lessons last year, I thought the words to it were :Cow is in the meadow, peanut butter cups.

Yeah...

EATING BUTTER CUPS...

Boy did I feel dumb at the next class.

Speedy healing to your Papa. (hugs)

Jeremy said...

Congrats on your amazing weight loss! Those pictures of you and Ariel are beautiful. Both of your dresses are so cute too!

I'm really sorry to hear about your papa. I'll be praying for a quick recovery.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...