Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Paska Day!

Ariel and I were up early this morning as we were joining Rose in her kitchen to make PASKA! First off, for those unfamiliar with paska, let me explain what it is. Basically, its Mennonite Easter bread, its kinda sweet and is usually served with icing. Yum. It has been a highlight in my life growing up in a Mennonite church, even though it's not my traditional background. However, after marrying Ken, I gained a real Mennonite last name, so I figure I can truly embrace the culture. Hee.

So we left the house and arrived bright and early at 830am to start the process. It was so much fun to get time to visit with Rose, and Ariel made herself right at home with the cats. She was quite into watching the cat eat... more on that later.


It was such a beautiful day, and the sunlight was just glowing in the kitchen. There is something magical I love about baking. I hope Ariel loves it as much as I do.


While preparing the dough, Ariel helped eat up the left over orange and lemon that had been zested.


During our visiting while the bread was in its first stage of rising, Ariel disappeared briefly... only to be found snacking on some kitty food. Most parents would be freaking out perhaps, of course I grab my camera. Lol. She didn't eat much and I figure this picture is going to be totally worth it years from now. Besides, she will get a nice silky coat from eating it right?


The dough was then ready to put in the loaf pans. I am always excited to use my mini loaf pan, its too cute!


After lunch (not kitty food) Ariel was starting to show signs of needing a nap. So Rose was kind enough to bake the bread while I took Ariel home for a much needed nap. Later in the day she dropped off some fine looking paska!


Of course the icing was needed, and those sprinkles to make them pretty. Oooh, aren't they nice. The little ones are going with Ken to work tomorrow for some of his co workers.


Ariel was the final judge... and with that smile, I'd say it passed. Yay. I wonder if it is better than the kitty food?

9 comments:

missmarble said...

It has to be the age... Lily ate cat food this week too!

Amy said...

ok ummmmm... to you take orders for that bread?! It looks delish!!

Dianne said...

Personally, I'm starting to suspect that you've been feeding Ariel cat food all along. It wouldn't surprise me... I mean she's so full of energy, and her hair is so soft and smooth!

Oh yeah. I'm on to you.

kelly ens said...

looks delicious! i may be bold enough to try carol peters recipe this year...we'll see.
i LOVE the mini loafs - awesome!

SarahRachel said...

That looks SOOO yum! =) I love that you let Ariel eat cat food. That's so something I would do. It's nice being a laid back mom, I think! I think baking for fun is magical too! Especially around the holidays!

Michelle said...

Oh yum-oh....i'd love the recipe please???? pretty please..I think the assistant is as adorable as ever...are you doing the meetup here next month??

Kim said...

That bread looks totally delish! Love the cat food picture . . . it'll come in really handy in the years to come!

Jill Brochard said...

yum yum yum!! I AM talking about the bread, you know!! ;)

Kristin said...

Sounds like fun!

I am sure the bread is better than the kitty food. LOL

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...