Thursday, August 30, 2007

Long road to Langley...

It was the funeral today for Gwen's mom, Cathy. Ken went in early to work so he could take the afternoon off and come with me, which I appreciated. Kara also came to babysit the princess, which was a big help, thanks! We took the long road out to Langley, its been awhile since we have gone out that way... I think the last time was our 3D ultrasound. Crazy.

We were stuck behind a slow truck half the way there, ugh. Then got around it only to move slowly again through the oodies of construction along the way. Blah. However, we got there with time to spare, which was good because I hate being late. Saw Cindy and Dennis and went to sit down. It was a fairly small little funeral home, but it was nice. Lots of people came, so the room was full.

After the Reverend spoke, her friend Kim (who I had met the other night when Gwen came over) read a lovely letter, and then Gwen shared as well. I am really proud of her, it was a hard thing she had to do, and something I was never able to do at the time. They had a little slide show then once things had concluded, refreshments were served. Got to talk to Vicki, who was Cathy's sister. She was a good friend of my mom's. It was one of those funny connections when I met Gwen in high school, and found out that Vicki was her Aunt. Small world. Also talked to Mrs Moir and Shawna Rogers, who I hadn't seen in 10 years.

They had some of Cathy's knitting out and wedding pictures. Its those little things that are special to see. I gave Gwen a big hug, and didn't say too much to her. I think my hug spoke volumes... we had something sadly in common, and she knew it too. She even mentioned how our moms are sitting together and watching us. I smiled and nodded. One thing I did say to her was to remember to eat... typical, practical me. Usually its the last thing you think of, and usually the first thing you need on such an emotional day. She told me how she only had a sprite for breakfast... sounds familiar. We decided we should do coffee soon, and I gave her another hug. I still can't believe it... I don't think I will for a while.

In the end as we left, I stopped and looked at the family portrait they had up at the front with the flowers. Quietly I said a goodbye, and we walked out of the funeral home. I pray we don't have to go to another funeral for a long time... this is the part of growing up that's the hardest and it never gets easier. Sigh.

This morning, Ariel and I went and spent the morning with Nana and Papa. Ariel was excited to go picking beans with Papa and spend time with Nana, who is healing well. She is resting a lot, which is good. I got some nice pictures of them with princess, here are some of my favs.


Tomorrow, I head to Sears to pick up the remainder of my pictures, that they finally got in. I am hoping I get a sorry when I go in, after I complained to the head office, but I am not holding my breath.

Also, we are having breakfast with Dad tomorrow morning. Yay. Nice way to start the long weekend, and Ken is off all three days!!! Usually he teaches on Saturdays, so it never feels really like a long weekend, but his classes don't start up again till September. Whee! We are also getting our new computer this weekend. Huzzah, I can't wait.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...