Thursday, August 17, 2006

Home Again!

Seems like forever, well, at least for me. Thought I was never going to be released from the hospital. Actually, the thing I missed the most was going outside for air and a walk. The maternity ward is like a hamster cage that goes in circle with only one exit. I would daily circle the halls, being quite jealous that Ken got to escape for a few hours a day to do chores. But today was my turn, and I am free... yet I now walk outside with a new name to my credit - mommy. Amazing and yet overwhelming.

I promised a good detailed update about my delivery so here it is. (I need to if we want a second baby one day). Like you know, the inducing wasn't working well. The last attempt on Saturday morning was a bit different, they didn't use a pill but gel and said it would work better. LOL, do they not get it yet, my body isn't going for it. I told Ken, its gonna end in a c-section, just wait.

Managed to have some fairly strong contractions that day but not alot of change to the cervix. They decided to keep me at the hospital this time, so we set up camp for the long haul. The next morning, surprise, the contractions were gone. Thats when the IV drip was called out. They decided to pump me full of oxytocin, which would start contractions. It didnt. In fact I had barely a blip on the monitor. Around 2pm, I was on the highest dose and still nothing. However, they were finally able to reach my cervix and break my water. Since I was soooooooooo overdue, it was no surprise the water wasn't clear, but baby showed no destress at all, so that was good.

I got moved to the fancy delivery room, in hopes I think that I may actually deliver. It was then I was begging for pain relief. As I said, I was on the highest dose of oxytocin and found out that it can make for some serious PAIN! I never really wanted to do an epidural, but I can honestly say I felt as if I was going to die, I was screaming and crying so much and couldn't get any relief at all. The nurses couldn't believe I lasted so long. They gave me laughing gas to help take the edge off until the nice man with the needle came. It made me pretty loopy, and Ken said it was most likely the closest anyone would see me to being drunk.

The epidural was attenpted to be inserted into my spine... 3 TIMES!!! Yes, he was having trouble getting it in the right spot, and all this time I was told to be still during contractions, good grief. He had me curl up in a ball on the bed and that finally was the trick. Huzzah for the drugs! It took a while to kick in, and I used the gas still so I was one doped up gal. They came and checked me again and I was at 4cm. They continued the drip and said they be back in a few hours to see if there was any change. At 10pm, I was checked and nothing had changed. I was booked for surgery in a few hours.

Waited for a long time, apprently it was a busy day in there. Finally at 1am I was wheeled downstairs. Ken was dressed in cute scrubs. My epi was topped up, man thats a weird feeling. I sat looking up at the lights trying to stay calm. I was so tired at that point, it wasn't hard. Ken was brought in by my head, and his eyes were glowing. We were finally here...about 15 minutes later, and lots of pushing my inside bits around, there was a little baby girl being held up to us. I always thought I would cry, but I was in awe. We created this little person, and she has been growing inside for months. I just stared at her, it was a moment I think I will hold in my mind forever. After all the pain, she was my prize. Wow.

I got taken to recovery after they finished putting me back together. Ken was taken upstairs with Ariel and was filming her for me so I wouldn't have to miss a thing! I was expected to be in recovery for serveral hours but I didn't like it and prayed for some quick healing, I wanted to be with Ken and Ariel. I got my answer when the male nurse checked me and surpringly said, she actually is good to go, amen.


Just as I was brought through the elevator there was Ken with his cel phone. He was smiling when he saw me, he was told I be gone for hours. Got put in my room and they brought me Ariel. She was pretty mellow as was I. With some help from the nurses, I fed her for the first time and she is a great eater, must be dad's genes. So basically, I found out that Ariel wasn't helping much in the surgery either so it was rougher than they thought it would have been. My cut is bigger and apprently I am gonna be pretty brused inside for awhile. Yuck! She didn't want to bend or make it easy for the doctors. Talk about a little trouble maker. Hee.

5 days later, I am out and have a new blogging buddy. She is hungry so we need to eat, will post some fun stuff soon! Thanks to everyone for congrats emails and posts. Ken printed them out and would bring them to the hospital, they were really great! Love to you all!

2 comments:

Dianne said...

What a story! Glad to hear you both made it through ok!

Ariel is just so totally sweet-faced. Keep the pictures coming please :) Can't wait to meet her!

Megan said...

Sigh! I cried reading your post.. (I'm expecting again, so I'll just blame it on those darn hormones!) Great pictures, what a beautiful baby!
Just wanted to tell you I've stolen the ticker at the top for my blog, thanks for the great idea!
Congrats again,
Megan
PS: I know you have no idea who I am, so I hope you don't think I'm stalking you or anything! Dianne will vouch for my good-person-ness!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...